When a person is using a substance despite the bad consequences of doing so, they may be suffering from substance use disorder. People who are suffering from drug addiction may feel that they need to use a substance to function or feel better on daily basis. This can distort the thinking and behaviors of the person. If you are suffering from alcohol or drug addiction you might want to seek detox under medical supervision. You need a safe detox treatment in Ontario or a safe detox treatment in King City.
Substances Make Changes in the Brain
When a person is suffering from addiction their brain changes. This can lead to differences in behavior, learning, and judgment among other things. The brain functions differently after repeated use of a substance. These changes last long after the intoxication period is over. Intoxication is the euphoria caused by abusing a substance. People typically build up a tolerance to their substance of choice and need to take more and more to experience euphoria.
Why Do People Start Using Drugs
People can start using substances for several reasons:
- To experiment or experience the feeling of “high”
- To “stop thinking” about everyday problems
- To relieve ongoing stress
- To manage physical or emotional pain
How Do You Treat Substance Use Disorder?
The first step to treating substance use disorder is acknowledging the problem. This is a very important step toward recovery. Seeking help can come from the individual suffering from addiction or from the people who care about the person’s life. Medical intervention is a necessity. Detox under medical supervision can help manage the withdrawal symptoms. You might need safe detox treatment in Ontario or safe detox treatment in King City.
Aspects of Recovery
The recovery plan is individualized and unique to each person. It is based on individual needs. There may be similar strategies used:
- Self-help groups that might include participation of family members as well
- Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, SMART Recovery
- Residential treatment
- Intensive outpatient programs
- Outpatient medication management and therapy
- Sober houses
- Hospitalization for medical withdrawal detoxification
Principles of Effective Drug Treatment
There is research showing that treatment can help people with substance use disorder get their lives back. Drug-addicted people can stop abusing drugs and avoid relapsing.
- Treatment should include assessing people for things like HIV/AIDS and include risk-reduction counseling to reduce behaviors that spread disease.
- There must be monitoring of drug use during addiction treatment. Lapses can occur.
- No one treatment is right for everyone.
- Treatment should be readily available.
- Effective treatment is multifaceted.
- A person needs to remain in treatment for an appropriate amount of time
- One of the most common forms of treatment is counseling.
- Medication can be an important element
- A person’s treatment plan must be reassessed continually and modified as needed.
- Many people suffering from drug addiction have other mental diagnoses.
- Medically assisted detoxification is only the first stage of treatment.
If you are suffering from alcohol or drug addiction you might want to receive detox under medical supervision. You need safe detox treatment in Ontario or safe detox treatment in King City.
Addiction is a very serious disease marked by chronic dependence on a substance or activity. There is a cost to the economy of hundreds of billions of dollars yearly.
Despite harmful effects on daily living, a person with an addiction can’t just stop using a substance.
Misuse of a substance is different than drug addiction. Substance misuse won’t always lead to addiction. However, regular misuse of a substance is addiction.
Fatigue, irritation, declining health, and inability to stop are symptoms of addiction. There is often straining of relationships and inhibited daily activities when someone suffers from addiction.
When someone who has substance use disorder stops using the substance this can lead to withdrawal. If not properly managed, the withdrawal symptoms can be overwhelming and unpleasant. People should not detox without medical supervision.
While it may be difficult to seek out addiction treatment, it is effective. Treatment is unique to the individual but often involves community support, counseling, and medication. If you are suffering from alcohol or drug addiction you might want to receive detox under medical supervision right away. You need safe detox treatment Ontario. If not, perhaps you would be interested in safe detox treatment at King Cityordetox at the comfort of your home.